Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Next Big Thing...

Okay, am I the only one wondering what "The Next Big Thing" will be? I first discovered romance back in the historical heyday. Then I shifted with thousands of others to contemporary romantic comedy and chick lit. When Time Travels first appeared, I was mesmerized, and I was thrilled that paranormal went on to become huge.

So you don't think I am a total camp follower, there have been a few trends I just didn't get. I sampled a few romantic suspense novels during their first appearance in the limelight, but, even though I like straight suspense and love mysteries, something about the mix didn't pull me in enough to search them out. Ditto for modern heros with jobs like pilot or any variety of police enforcement/investigation. And well, erotica isn't my cup of tea. In fact a lot of the stories just billed as super sexy are a little boring to me--but maybe that's another blog.

Anyway, here we sit. The only things getting big buzz seem to be super sexy up to and including erotica, and paranormal, mainly dark. How long can these trends last? And what will push them off their pedestals? Anybody who has been watching this longer than me have a clue? A guess even? And what pushes the reigning trend off its throne? Is it a new hot movie or TV show that uncovers a hidden passion in romance readers everywhere? Or is it just complete overkill (jumping the shark) of the current Queen of the genre? Do we ever go backwards--could cowboys hit it big again? Or Vikings? (I have to admit a weakness for a good Viking tale.) Maybe a new mix--Space bound Cowboys (along the lines of the Firefly series). Or Gothic Chick Lit. (someone please write one of those--I've got to read it.) Or maybe Kick Ass Heroine Regencies. (Serve your own d@mn tea.)

Whatcha think? You can tell me...

8 comments:

Kristi Cook said...

Lori, the "serve your own d@amn tea" line made my day!!!!

I've wondered myself what will be the next 'hot' thing in romance. When I first started writing (historicals) about 4 yrs. ago, all I heard was that historicals were dead, and that I *must* write contemporary. Or chick lit. Now it seems to have moved on to paranormal and erotica. Or mixed elements (historical with paranormal elements, for example). It's definitely interesting to watch how quickly the trends change.

robynl said...

I sure hope that the genres that are fading out will come back such as cowboys, etc. I guess it depends on the next generations of readers coming up but there must be some who will like them.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... sometimes the popular TV shows foreshadow the next "big" thing in romance. Comedy doesn't seem too hot at the moment except for a nostalgic look back (Everybody Hates Chris), a peek into Karma (My Name is Earl), and life in the office (The Office), housewives on the loose (Desperate Housewives). Hospital shows are (Grey's Anatomy, House). Those may indicate the next popular waves of romance. However, I believe that universal themes will always draw interest: trust, motherhood, family, forgiveness, loyalty, and yes, pour your own d@mn tea.

Anonymous said...

I keep wodering how we get new trends when editors are so fond of saying, "This isn't selling right now."

Nancy Morse said...

They say everything comes back around. That's certainly true for fashion. I've been seeing a lot of peasant style tops in the stores lately. Oh, if only I had saved my peasant blouses from my hippie days. So I sure hope that historicals, cowboys, Vikings and everything else that's not so popular right now will be back. I'm not one for trends. I don't write erotic or paranormal. Am I missing the boat? Maybe. But I have to write what I'm comfortable with, and I can't write what I don't enjoy reading. I mean no offense to all the vampires and werewolves out there, but I prefer to write and read about characters who are actual human beings with real problems that I, as an actual human being, can relate to. The bottom line is that a good love story, whether it's paranormal or straight historical (never mind the dark stuff) or whatever, should be what editors buy because I think there's room for all of it.

Anonymous said...

Found myself laughing out loud picturing a spitfire in white gloves hissing, "Serve you're own D*mn tea." I bet WWI and WWII will be the next hot thing.
Sandy

Gail Dayton said...

I do think things lose ground when they hit that overkill mark--look at Chick lit... Of course, I loved fantasy/paranormal stuff back when I was still young enough I thought kissing was icky, so I was writing that before it got hot. I think you have to write what you love--and those of us who love a lot of stuff are in luck.

Gail (currently researching for a WWII non-romance historical)

Anonymous said...

Love the "serve your own da** tea line" Lori! I recently signed a two book contract for western historicals, so I'm hoping that's an indication cowboys are going to be hot again. My heros sure seem to be so inclined. ;)