Sunday, November 13, 2005

Moods

I have found that when it comes to my reading, I have to be in the right mood for a particular book to be drawn in to reading it. For about half this week, I haven't been in the mood to read anything at all, which I find totally depressing, because my 2BeRead pile keeps growing and metastasizing to take over not only its designated bookcase, but the bookcase designated for keepers and research books, the floor in my office, the end tables, the totebags for carrying various supplies to various places... well, you get the idea.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a nice, juicy series romance. Sometimes I want to read something that will carry me to the far reaches of the universe, or maybe my imagination. Sometimes I want something a little bit scary and tense, with some nice romance to go along. Sometimes I want to read about relationships, not necessarily romantic. Sometimes I want some history with the romance. Sometimes I just want the history, no romance, thanks. (Not often, though) And the weird thing is, I never really know what I'm in the mood for till I walk up to the bookcase (or the pile) and start looking through it.

Does your reading suffer from moodiness, or are your moods more consistent than mine? Do you indulge your moods?

4 comments:

Nancy Herkness said...

Gail, I'm definitely a "moody reader". I also like to alternate between romance and "something else" which can be nonfiction, literary fiction, a classic, light humor or erotica. And every time Ian McEwan publishes a book, I rush out and buy it. But I'm like you; I stare at the TBR pile until something jumps up and yells, "I'm the book for you at this moment."

Tessa McDermid said...

I didn't realize others did this, too (don't know why I thought I was alone, nothing else I do is totally distinct). I have at least four books laying around the house right now with a few pages read. Didn't strike my mood so I haven't finished them yet. I know one of these days, that will be the exact book I'm looking for but right now, I'm still trying to figure out which book fits the mood I'm currently in.

And what really makes me moody is that if I don't have a book to read, I feel disoriented and out of synch with my world. A wild, crazy cycle.

Unknown said...

I do the same, reading what appeals for me. Right now I'm working on a fantasy book, but I also mostly read contemporary romance.

However, when the urge strikes me to read something not romantic, I have to be rather selective because I usually have to read these books very slowly and carefully, so I have to be sure I'm in the mood to take my time.

gailbarrett said...

Yes, I definitely go through moods. I will frequently stand in front of my keeper shelf and scan the books to see which one I am in the mood to reread (assuming nothing in my To Be Read pile grabs my attention). It is frustrating when I'm not involved with a good book and have nothing to look forward to in the evening. Thank goodness for the keeper shelf! I can always find something there that will satisfy me.