Sunday, December 03, 2006

Always a thrill

Tha'ts my book cover over on the right. The Wedding Secret is the second book in my American Beauties mini-series from Harlequin American Romance. (details at http://www.micheledunaway.com)

I autographed the copies at my local Wal-Mart store this weekend and put out a local author "Happy Holidays" shelf talker that I made on my computer. It's nothing too fancy, just something to maybe draw the eye to my book as shoppers go down the aisle.

The Wedding Secret is lucky #13 for me. My first book was out in October 2000, so six years later I've hit 13. Wow. It's always a thrill to see a book that you've written on the shelf. There's a special feeling that never goes away.

Sure, some of the reasons I write have changed. Before it was a dream to be published. Now it's a career path. But the thrill remains. You put your book out into the world and pray it finds happy homes and gives readers a little escape from their day. The fact that I've been able to do it this much still gives me chills.

All the best,

Michele

4 comments:

JoAnn Ross said...

Michele,

Huge congratulations! What a fun early Christmas present! And you're right, the thrill never goes away.

I don't go in bookstores when a book first comes out -- I know, weird, but it dates back to my category days when I started making myself crazy -- but I'll admit to stopping in front of the rack at the grocery store (or better yet, if I'm in an airport!) and grinning like a Cheshire cat when I see my book up there. At least I'm grinning -- and dancing -- inside. LOL

Tessa McDermid said...

How exciting Michele! I'll look for it next time I'm out -- we've been snowed in for the last three days.

I've been going into our local bookstores and imagining where my book will be when it comes out next May. Long time between books right now and I'm not sure how they'll shelve the Everlasting Love books. But it's fun to envision. And if an employer comes by and asks if they can help, I've been known to say, 'no, just checking where my book will be when it comes out next year.' Never too early to start promoting.

Susan Vaughan said...

Michele,
Congratulations on Lucky #13.
I agree that it's a thrill to see one's book in the stores. When I spotted my first book on the shelf at the supermarket, I ran out to the car to get my camera. I asked the first person who came by to take my picture. What a startled customer!
Best of luck on sales.
Susan

JoAnn Ross said...

>> I asked the first person who came by to take my picture.

Susan, I LOVE this story! What fun. So, did the customer buy the book?