Tuesday, February 20, 2007

What I'm Reading


The timing is good for me to post about what I've been reading, since I've recently read some great books by two new-to-me authors and I'm always glad to spread the word.

The first is What Angels Fear by C.S. Harris. The book is a historical mystery set in the Regency era. While I was aware of Harris' work w/a Candice Proctor, I had never read anything by her. A friend brought What Angels Fear to my attention. I couldn't put it down, and as soon as I finished reading it, I got my hands on a copy of the sequel When Gods Die, which I enjoyed even more than the first. In both books the author drew me into the story immediately, then kept me involved in it until the last page. Sebastian St. Cyr, the protagonist, is fascinating, as are several of the other main characters. The books are rich in period detail, giving the books a "you are there" quality. I can't wait to read the next in the series.

The next new-to-me author is Marjorie M. Liu. I was immediately intrigued by her novella A Dream of Stone and Shadow (the second of two stories in Dark Dreamers--the other novella in the book is by Christine Feehan), as the hero is a gargoyle. The story was wonderful--dark and sinister, yet very touching. A Dream of Stone and Shadow is part of Liu's series of "Dirk and Steele Adventures"--paranormal stories revolving around a very unusual detective agency. I've got the first book in the series on my TBR pile now, and I'm hoping to get to it soon. I'm sure I'll be buying the rest of the series, as well.

What have you been reading? Have you tried these authors, and if so, what did you think?

No comments: